Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Save on Playdough

For the first time today, I made homemade play dough with the children.  They had fun helping me measure, stir and smoosh the play dough. 

I seriously don't know why I haven't done this before.  It is super easy and the kids enjoyed helping to make it and then play with it.  My children can seriously play with this for hours at a time, which really helps me to get the much needed housework done.

I used the recipe I found here

Ingredients:


2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)
food coloring
 
You put this all together (minus the food coloring) in a pan and then cook it on low while stirring until it clumps together and isn't sticky anymore.  Then you add the food coloring and mash it up.  I would recommend wearing gloves if you have them.  I actually, put it in a gallon sized baggie and mashed it up that way to get the food coloring mixed in.  The kids especially liked this part.
 
They also stated on the website that you can use cookie cutters to cut out designs to make ornaments and then you can bake them in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.  I think the kids and I will try this out this year.  We love to give ornaments for gifts and this would be a cheap, easy, and fun gift to give!
 
Another thing they said you could do was to bake these in rings and you can give use them as salt licks for your pet rabbits.  How is that for saving some extra money!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment